As the colder nights slowly creep in it’s time to seek for some soul warming recipes to stretch out the evenings and make the most of your pizza oven in the changing seasons.
Rice pudding is one of the ultimate comfort foods for those that love it and this scrumptious rice pudding recipe will even convert those who don’t! This old fashioned baked rice pudding is rib sticking and warming. It’s best eaten near the fire wrapped in a blanket, when the table is cleared and the dishwasher is doing its job.
It can even be made a day or two before (store chilled) and then reheated at pizza cooking temperatures to get a beautiful sugary skin on top.
Is your mouth watering yet? Ours certainly are!
150g Pudding Rice
50g Caster Sugar
½ a vanilla pod, seeds scraped
2 tbsp Roughly chopped Pistachio’s (optional)
- Firstly, you will need to get your wood fired pizza oven to it’s optimum temperature, then maintain at around 160°c.
- Next, mix all the ingredients together in a heavy bottomed casserole dish, cover with baking parchment and a lid and pop in your wood fired pizza oven for 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, put the rice pudding in the oven proof serving dishes, cover with foil and pop back into the hot oven for 5 minutes.
- Finally, remove the foil, sprinkle with Demerara sugar, and return uncovered to the oven for 3 minutes, or until the skin has browned.
- Serve with chopped pistachios – jam or syrup is also great!