Get set to grill, roast, toast and dip at your next barbecue with these mouthwatering treats! With World Chocolate Day on the 7th July we couldn’t resist sharing these great recipes, featuring the world’s favourite treat, to help you celebrate.
Barbecues aren’t just brilliant for sausages and kebabs. After enjoying the main event, follow up with a seriously indulgent pud. Here we list 5 simple yet crowd pleasing recipes that can be made on your BBQ or in your pizza oven.
Chocolate Baked Bananas
A true retro childhood classic, these fruity treats taste fabulous and are great fun to make with the kids!
- Bananas (1 per person)
- Chocolate buttons (the more the merrier!)
- Vanilla ice cream to serve
- Heat pizza oven to 200C or around a 3 missippi.
- Make a slit through the skin of the bananas along one side – making sure you don’t cut all the way through to the other side. Poke in the chocolate buttons along the cut. Put each banana onto a sheet of foil and crimp the edges together to seal into a parcel. Transfer to the pizza oven or BBQ embers and cook for 15 mins until the bananas skins have turned black.
- Eat direct from the foil (on a plate) and serve with a scoop of ice cream and any melted chocolate that has escaped!
- Tip: Try adding chunks of chocolate, marshmallows or nuts for some extra tasty alternatives.
Cherry S’more Campfire Cones
INGREDIENTS (Makes 6)
- 6 waffle cones
- 100g fresh cherries, pitted and chopped, plus 6 whole, to serve
- 250g pack chocolate chip cookies
- 4 tbsp black cherry conserve or jam
- 40g mini white marshmallows
- 1 tbsp white chocolate chips
- Heat the barbecue or pizza oven.
- Stand the waffle cones in glasses and divide half the chopped cherries between them. Crush 3 of the cookies then divide the crumbs between the cones, along with half of the cherry conserve and mini marshmallows, pressing in gently.
- Divide the remaining chopped cherries, cookies, conserve and marshmallows, plus the white chocolate chips, between the cones, gently pushing in the filling to stop it spilling out.
- Wrap each cone in foil to enclose completely, then barbecue /place in the pizza oven for 5-10 mins, turning occasionally, until the marshmallows and chocolate have started to melt. Remove from the foil, decorate each with a whole cherry and serve immediately.
Marshmallow & Strawberry Skewers
Nobody can resist a toasted marshmallow! Toast these marshmallow & strawberry skewers for a fun, sweet and sticky dessert.
- Large marshmallows
- Strawberries, hulled (allow for 4 per person)
- ½ x 397g can Carnation Caramel
- toasted hazelnuts or crumbled biscuits, for sprinkling (optional)
- chocolate dipping sauce and hot chocolate (for serving / optional)
- Thread 4 long metal skewers with 5 marshmallows and 4 hulled strawberries each.
- Carefully hold over a BBQ or pizza oven front, turning slowly, until the marshmallows are toasted.
- Stir a pinch of salt into caramel and drizzle over the top. Sprinkle with hazelnuts or biscuits, if you like.
- The marshmallows will be very hot, so allow to cool for a min or so before eating.
- Tip: Try adding a drizzle of chocolate sauce, crushed salted crackers or experiment with different fruits such as mango, for that little something extra.
Baked Caramelised Peaches With Salted Nuts
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 ripe peaches, halved and stoned
- 25g unsalted butter
- 25g salted mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- Dark chocolate chips
- Rich chocolate icecream, to serve (optional)
- If using the pizza oven preheat it to 4 Mississippi, around 220ºC.
- Take two large rectangles of kitchen foil and drizzle the middle of each with 1 tbsp of the maple syrup. Place 4 peach halves, cut-side-up, nestled tightly together, in the middle of each rectangle. Dot the peaches with the butter. Scatter over the nuts.
- Drizzle the remaining syrup over both sets of peaches. Wrap up tightly, then wrap with another piece of foil to secure (carefully keeping the cut side of the peaches facing upwards).
- Place in the hot ashes of a barbecue or campfire or on in the pizza oven and cook for 20-25 mins. Unwrap and arrange into bowls, drizzled with the cooking juices and sprinkled with the chocolate chips. Add a spoonful of ice cream, if using.
Barbecued Doughnut Ice Cream Sandwiches
For a crowd-pleasing summer dessert, look no further than this barbecued doughnut ice cream sandwiches recipe. The title alone is all you need to know! Pick up a packet of doughnuts and a tub of ice cream and transform them into a decadent dessert that’s ready in 15 minutes. Hot smoky doughnuts, a touch of chocolate spread and cool melting ice cream – the perfect way to end a barbecue
INGREDIENTS (serves 5)
- 5 ring doughnuts
- 400g vanilla or chocolate ice cream
- 200g chocolate spread
- Heat your barbecue to high, pizza ovens should be around 4 Mississippi / 220ºC.
- Slice the doughnuts in half. Place on the barbecue, outsides down – cook towards the edges of the barbecue or oven, as this uses indirect heat so the doughnuts don’t burn.
- cook for 2-3 mins until there are clear griddle lines on the outsides of the doughnuts or they begin to crisp. Use tongs to remove from the heat, place on a tray and leave to cool slightly.
- While the doughnuts are cooking, take the ice cream out of the freezer to soften for 10 mins.
- Add 2-3 small scoops of ice cream to the bottom half of each doughnut and evenly spread it around the ring. Spread each top half with a thin layer chocolate and press down lightly to squeeze the ice cream to the sides. Serve immediately.
- Tip: Experiment with different flavours to build your ultimate ice cream sandwich. Swap the vanilla/ chocolate ice cream for strawberry or caramel, use caramel sauce or jam instead of the chocolate spread.