What better than hot, freshly baked pancakes? Ones from your pizza oven of course! This easy recipe is sure to be a winner this Pancake Day!
Whether you’re a fan of chocolate spread and raspberries, syrup or lemon and sugar, these American style pancakes are the ultimate thick and fluffy staple to build your stack of dreams.
What You’ll Need:
- 150g plain flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine seasalt
- 30g caster sugar
- 220ml milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 30g melted butter
- A large, heavy bottomed, high heat frying pan or girdle
- Two mixing bowls
- A whisk
- A ladle
- Fire up your pizza oven to optimum temperature and allow to cool to around 210°C or a ‘3 Mississippi’ for those in the know, keep the door off. Alternatively, you can use the residual heat of your oven the morning after a pizza party.
- Then, put your flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl and whisk in the milk, egg yolks and melted butter to get a smooth thick batter.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are at the soft peak stage and fold them into the batter.
- Put a large, heavy duty, frying pan or a smooth griddle in the oven and let it heat up.
- Pop in a small piece of butter and wipe it around the surface of the pan. Add a large spoonful of the batter to form a pancake about 10cm wide to one side of the pan. Put in another spoonful of batter so you’re cooking 2 pancakes at once.
- Once little bubbles start forming on the top of the pancakes, flip them over and cook until the other side are golden brown and the pancakes have puffed up.
- Take them out of the pan and keep them warm (wrapping in a hot, clean dish cloth works well) while you cook the rest of the batter. Wipe the pan out with a little extra melted butter on some kitchen paper before every batch of pancakes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Lashings of maple syrup with either fresh fruit or crispy bacon.
- Berries, yoghurt and honey
- Bananas and chocolate spread
- Layer with jam and cream – Who needs scones?!
- Icecream – We love this combination of hot and cold.
- For a savory twist, feast like royalty and top with smoked salmon, a soft-boiled egg and slices of avocado.
- Try adding a large handful of fresh blueberries to the batter before cooking.
- Add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the batter and serve with caramelised apples and a dollop of clotted cream.